Nestle, Coca-Cola Co. , Levi Strauss & Co., Laeckeby Water Group, SABMiller Plc and Suez have sign it. At the UN-sponsored Global Compact summit on corporate responsibility last week, all six companies have signed “CEO Water Mandate”
This is a business-led initiative to reduce water use and holds companies to pledge the following:
- “Conduct a comprehensive water-use assessment to understand the extent to which the company uses water in the direct production of goods and services.
- Set targets for our operations related to water conservation and waste-water treatment, framed in a corporate cleaner production and consumption strategy.
- Seek to invest in and use new technologies to achieve these goals.
- Raise awareness of water sustainability within corporate culture.
- Include water sustainability considerations in business decision-making – e.g., facility-siting, due diligence, and production processes.”
The United Nation’s Global Compact has more than 3,000 corporate signatories from 116 countries worldwide and asks companies to embrace ten principles.
Here are the ten principles:
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
More Information: UN Global Compact